Preventive dentistry provides the key to keep your teeth healthy and disease-free throughout your entire lifespan. Good oral care can have a lasting impact on your general health as well. Preventive dental services include regular dental checkups and teaching good oral hygiene habits such as brushing and flossing. Taking care of your teeth should begin from early childhood and should be continued throughout your life. The main goal of preventive dental care is to detect and fix minor problems before they turn into something serious, incurring high treatment costs.
What are the benefits of Preventive Dentistry?
Regular preventive dental exams provide the following benefits to your oral health.
- Preventive dental care helps lower your risk of developing tooth decay, gum disease, and more serious dental problems.
- It helps support good oral hygiene habits, such as brushing your teeth at least twice a day and flossing.
- The treatment and cost of the dental problems can be minimized by their early identification.
- It enables your dentist to do a complete exam of your mouth, jaw, neck, etc., to identify any related problems.
- A preventive service helps reduce dental problems related to some chronic medical conditions. Diabetes, osteoporosis, certain cancers, and eating disorders can all affect dental and oral health. For people suffering from chronic diseases, regular preventive dental care is an integral part of general health.
What services are included in Preventive Dental Care?
- Professional Teeth Cleanings:Many aspects are considered, including the presence of gum disease, any medical conditions that predispose you to gum disease, and the presence of decay and plaque before performing the teeth cleanings. It will be recommended to fix these problems to enjoy the benefits of teeth cleanings.
- Fluoride Treatments: Dental hygienists will recommend a professional fluoride application to help you lower your risk of getting new cavities between visits. This use of fluorides benefits those who are at high risk for developing tooth decay. The application is swift and straightforward.
- Dental Sealants: This type of preventive care aims to prevent decay in the deep grooves and pits of teeth. A sealant forms a slight coating over these grooves that have a tendency to collect plaque, bacteria, and food buildup, which can lead to the formation of a cavity. They are mainly valuable for young children who do not yet have the skills necessary to clean the teeth well.
- Protective Mouthguards: If you suffer from clenching or grinding your teeth, your dentist will most likely recommend a mouthguard. Since the heavy forces of bruxism put your teeth at risk for cracks, shortening of teeth, and gum recession, protecting your teeth from those forces becomes crucial. By wearing a mouth guard to separate the teeth at night, you effectively reduce the forces from clenching and grinding and prevent the damage these forces can cause.
Call Dentist in San Jose CA at Robin Lambert Mells DDS on (408) 243-4216 or schedule an online appointment to know more about Preventive Services.